As Shakespeare famously wrote in Romeo & Juliet, “What’s in a name?” Pastor Joe mentioned that there are 900+ names-titles-descriptions of God in the Bible. Some are well-known (“Father”, “I Am”), others, not so much (“Plant of Renown”*, “Nail in a Sure Place”*). As we learned on Sunday, the Family Name is important. Let’s take a look at some of the Names of God found in Scripture.
Share with your group your full name, and the meaning behind your name (if you don’t know it, Google it). Is there a story for why you are named what you are named?
Read John 17:11-13. The power of God’s Name is rooted in His character – which we learned about in our last sermon series (“Our God”). List four of God’s attributes (character traits) and discuss how these attributes protect us.
Write out how God is referred to in the following verses (the Name in Hebrew is written in italics). If you have trouble, the answers are below.
- Genesis 49:24; Psalm 132:2,5 (El Shaddai)
- Exodus 3:14 (Ehyeh asher Ehyeh)
- Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14 (YHWH)
- Genesis 22:14 (YHWH-Jireh)
- Exodus 15:26 (YHWH-Rapha)
- Judges 6:24 (YHWH-Shalom)
- Jeremiah 33:16 (YHWH-Tsidkenu)
Which of the above Names are you drawn to most? Why?
In the Book of John, Jesus gives eight “I Am” statements. List them below.
- John 6:35,38
- John 8:12, 9:5
- John 8:58
- John 10:9
- John 10:11
- John 11:25
- John 14:6
- John 15:1
Why do you think Jesus described Himself using these terms?
Which “I Am” statement is most meaningful to you?
The Navigators developed a calendar of “30 Days of Praying the Names and Attributes of God” (HERE). Use this document and pray through God’s Names over the next month.
“I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them.” John 17:11-13 (NIV)
* Extra Credit :-): Find the Scripture where these names (“Plant of Renown”, “Nail in a Sure Place”) are mentioned and discuss what they mean with your group.
Answers to Question 3
- Genesis 49:24; Psalm 132:2,5 (El Shaddai) “God Almighty” “The Mighty One Of Jacob”
- Exodus 3:14 (Ehyeh asher Ehyeh) “I AM that I AM”
- Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14 (YHWH) “Lord”
- Genesis 22:14 (YHWH-Jireh) “The Lord Will Provide”
- Exodus 15:26 (YHWH-Rapha) “The Lord Who Heals”
- Judges 6:24 (YHWH-Shalom) “The Lord Our Peace”
- Jeremiah 33:16 (YHWH-Tsidkenu) “The Lord Our Righteousness”